Welcome to the official page for current Rideau Trail trail alerts. Remember to always check this page before hiking on the Rideau Trail. This page is maintained by by RTA trail maintenance volunteers and relies on contributions from hikers like you. Take part in maintaining the Rideau Trail and report a hazard by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning us at (613) 817-7295.
The first alerts listed are the Most Recent ones, ie ones that have been posted within the last 30 days. Remaining alerts are listed in reverse chronological order within map number, with their latest status (e.g. Current or Resolved). Scroll down the list of alerts to find the section of trail that you are interested in for the most recent changes. We also have a brief list of ongoing hazards that may that hikers may encounter while hiking the Rideau Trail.
Important: Closure information is updated as frequently as possible but may not be fully up to date.
RTA POLICY ON HIKING DURING HUNTING SEASON
During the various hunting seasons that take place in Ontario between Oct 1st and Dec 31st, it is preferred that hikes be conducted in Provincial Parks, Conservation Areas, and public areas. However, hikes may continue in other areas as long as hike leaders/hikers do the following:
- – Check the Trail Alerts portion of the RTA website to ensure that where you plan on hiking has not been officially closed.
- – Wear bright/easily visible clothing.
- – Look for any signs indicating that an area is closed or that hunting is ongoing AND DO NOT PROCEED IF THERE ARE SIGNS!
- – Look for any evidence that hunters are in the area and leave that area if there is such evidence.
- – Do not bushwack or leave the trail.
If you do find areas where hunting is taking place that are not covered in the Trail Alerts, then please advise the RTA Trail Coordinator at email@example.com
- Aug 4, 2021
- Map 09
- A bypass to the beaver dam that is located between RT 09E and RT10A (just North of the Mica Mines boundary, closer to RT09E) has been built by Central Club and all the signage is now up.
- March 25, 2021
- This is now the main route.
- RTA 01
- The area around the wetlands, with the extensive area of boardwalks, is not usable. The boardwalks are in very poor condition and not considered safe. Discussions have been initiated with CRCA and the City of Kingston for a long term fix, but there is no expectation of a quick fix. Accordingly the modified route has been marked with main trail orange blazes and is now the Main Trail. Map 1 has been amended and the newer one is available on the Maps page. The RT kml and gpx files have also been updated.
- 28 December 2020
- UPDATE DEC 28, 2020. HIKERS (possibly not RTA) HAVE NOT BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO THE CLOSED SIGNS AND HAVE BEEN CROSSING THIS PROPERTY AREA. NOT ONLY ARE THESE PEOPLE RISKING THEIR LIVES, THEY ARE TRESPASSING AND CAN BE PROSECUTED. IN ORDER TO ENSURE SAFETY, THE LANDOWNER HAS WITHDRAWN CONSENT FOR THE RTA TO CROSS HIS PROPERTY - SO UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, THIS PART OF THE TRAIL IS OFF LIMITS! DO NOT GO INTO THAT AREA. Use the Blue Trail that goes along Donnelly Drive, Dwyer Hill Road and Paden Roads instead.
- January 26, 2021
- RT 05 and RT 06
- Where to park when wishing to hike the Skycroft Access Trail is always an issue. RT maps (both map 05 and 06) indicate that there is some parking available. There is very limited, three-season-only, parking on the North side of Opinicon Rd, right at the official entrance of the trail (at best, 3 vehicles from the same group). The problem is that the area South of Opinicon Rd belongs to Skycroft Campground Resort. The access to their property from Opinicon Rd is Split Rail Lane (opposite an unofficial entrance into Skycroft Access Trail). The Skycroft Campground Resort owners have made it clear that NO PARKING IS AUTHORIZED that blocks the Split Rail Lane, or on any part of their property that is South of Opinicon Road. An image is below to assist with understanding. If there are any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- April 5, 2021
- Map 07
- A new routing has been completed. Trail markers are in place and Map 07 has been amended.