Hike Ontario Summit 201611 Sep 2016
You are invited to take part in the upcoming Hike Ontario Summit which will take place in Perth on September 30th to October 2nd, 2016.
The Summit, which is being hosted by the Rideau Trail Association, is your opportunity to celebrate trails and hiking in Ontario, as well as the 200th anniversary of the historic town of Perth and the 45th anniversary of the Rideau Trail, one of Ontario’s oldest trails.
The Summit will include a kick-off Friday evening event at the Perth Golf Course, followed by a dynamic Saturday program, and a range of hikes in the Kingston, Central, and Ottawa sections of the Rideau Trail on Sunday morning.
So mark your calendars! Register for the event (deadline for registration is September 23rd) and come celebrate with us!
Highlights of the 2016 Summit
Friday evening “Meet and Greet”
The Summit will kick start with drinks at 5:00 p.m. at the Perth Golf Course. Pub style meals will be available if we get a minimum of 20 people for the meals. Individuals are responsible for paying for their own drinks and meals.
Doug Knapp (Saturday @ 10 am)
Doug, the founding father of the Rideau Trail Association (RTA), is our featured speaker for Saturday morning’s welcome session.
2 panel sessions (Saturday 1:30pm-2:30pm & 2:45pm-3:45pm)
- Lyme Disease – with a focus on prevention and treatment (1:30pm @ Perth Golf Course)
- Bill 100 and Landowners – Randy Hillier, Member of Provincial Parliament for Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox & Addington, will be one of the panel members (2:45pm @ Perth Golf Course)
7 workshops (Saturday 1:30pm-2:30pm & 2:45pm-3:45pm)
- Let’s Get Social! Using Digital Media To Promote Hiking (1:30pm @ McMartin House)
- How to Build a Survival Fire (1:30pm @ Last Duel Park)
- Young Hikers Program/Perth Youth Action Committee (1:30pm @ McMartin House)
- Hike Leader Best Practices and Scenarios (2:45pm @ Last Duel Park)
- Mood Walks (2:45pm @ McMartin House)
- Urban Poling (2:45pm @ Outdoors)
- Trail Association ‘Challenges & Solutions’ (Risk Management, Succession Planning, Volunteer Recruitment) (2:45pm @ McMartin House)
- Everyone is invited to attend Hike Ontario’s AGM 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, followed at 10:00 a.m. by speakers from Hike Ontario and the Rideau Trail Association, including Doug Knapp, the founding father of the Rideau Trail Association (RTA). Coffee/tea, muffins/croissants, and fresh fruits will be available. (Perth Golf Course)
- Individuals are responsible for their own lunch on Saturday.
- Panel sessions and workshops are taking place Saturday afternoon from 1:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- An optional historic walk of Perth will be offered at 4:00 p.m. Saturday afternoon, and again on Sunday morning.
Saturday Dinner Reception
This will be held at the Perth Golf Course, starting at 6:00 p.m. Perth’s Town Crier will fife in special guests. Hike Ontario Volunteer Awards will be presented. There will be a silent auction during dessert and coffee. Dinner will start with a garden salad, followed by a choice of chicken breast in a mushroom sauce, baked salmon, or root vegetable/chickpea curry on quinoa as the main course, with a chocolate mousse tart for dessert. Other options can be made available upon request.
Sunday Breakfast – Free with summit registration!
The breakfast brag and Summit wrap up will take place at 7:30 a.m. at Perth Golf Course. Those in attendance will have a choice between cinnamon French toast with candied apples and maple syrup and a side of fresh fruit or scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, two slices of toast and home fries.
All hikes will depart from the Perth Golf Course at 9:00 a.m. Choose from among one of these 5 hikes.
- Perth and Tay Canal: Easy – 6 km
Hike on the Rideau Trail through Perth and along the Tay Canal towpath.
- Mica Mines: Easy/Moderate – 6 km
Explore the old mica mine pits beside the Rideau Trail south of Perth.
- Foley Mountain: Moderate – 6 km
Spectacular views. Follow the Rideau Trail along the escarpment.
- Frontenac Park: Moderate/Difficult – 13 km
Explore the Arkon Lake Loop in beautiful Frontenac Park.
- Rideau Canal Meets Rideau Trail: Easy – 8 km
Hike the Rideau Trail to Stoney Steps and the Rideau Canal’s tip-to-tip trail.
$50 – dinner and workshops
$30 – dinner only
$25 – workshops only
FREE – Sunday breakfast
Summit activities and meals will primarily take place at the Perth Golf Course, 141 Peter St, Perth, telephone (613) 267-3090.